Sunday 22 December 2013

C is for: 'Can't Hold Us' by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton



So, this week's song is Can't Hold Us by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Ray Dalton, from the album 'The Heist'.

I’ll be honest, when I first heard this song I really wasn't a fan and I didn't really like listening to it. I started to hear it more and more often and I actually started to listen to the lyrics instead of just the music and I started to want to listen to it. 

Now I absolutely love this song. It’s really upbeat and I find myself wanting to start to sing it in the middle of the lesson and then having to stop myself. I ended up looking up the lyrics online because there were parts of the verse where I really had no clue what they were saying. After looking at them and actually realising what they were putting across into this song it gave me a whole new view on things.

The whole songs feels like they’re taking us on a journey throughout their music career and everything they did to get to the top and now no one can hold them back from doing what they do best. It’s one of those songs that I find quite inspiring. The first verse is how he’s been rapping since we was fourteen and made it to the top without any major record label backing him up. 

I especially love the lyrics in the second verse when they go, “I got my city right behind me, if I fall they got me. Learn from that failure, gain humility, and then we keep marching.” Macklemore knows that he’s got his hometown there for him if things don’t work out and knows that he made choices in life that weren’t always the right choices for him to make but he’s learnt from them and taken in his stride. He didn’t let them stop him.

Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments, on the song, below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment