Saturday 4 October 2014

Looking Back At: September 2014

September has been a pretty busy month as I've been trying to find my feet back in school. I came off of summer on the second and was thrown straight into the swing of things. Slowly, I've been getting used to going back to school and making sure that I'm ready for my lessons. Nothing could prepare though for the strange feeling that has come along with my being in my last year of secondary school. It's strange knowing that a lot of things this year will be my last things that I'll get the chance to do in that school but I'll be making the most of this. 

This was also the month where I turned sixteen, which was another strange feeling all in itself. It was a birthday that I was extremely excited about and it was such a fantastic day. Even though it was a school day, it was just lovely to have all the family down and go out for a meal. It was a birthday that I'm 100% sure that I won't forget! The cake was just fantastic. It was a chocolate cake with the Hufflepuff crest. Such a beautiful cake and it tasted amazing too! 
One of my presents for my birthday from my sister was to go to the Harry Potter Studio Tour which led to an amazing day out a London and you can read more about that here! 

My college application was started this month. Our courses don't open up to be picked until October 1st so at the moment we're filling things like our personal statement, personal details and qualifications out. The application process was something that I had been dreading but there's a lot of resources that the school has put online to help us out with our personal statement and sheets to help us with the qualification sections and everything. So, some of our Welsh Baccalaureate lessons are dedicated to filling that out.

September proved to be a month where I pushed myself to limits I didn't even know that I had and did the Admiral Swansea Bay 10K. It was a killer and I didn't think I'd be able to get through the whole thing at some points but alongside my sister we managed to make it to the finish line in a pretty good time of 1:39:38. I was pretty proud of myself and I'm hoping to do more races like this one. So, the next one that I want to sign up to in Swnasea's 5K Race For Life. 
I got through more books than I though I would this month. I thought at the very most I would be able to get through two. I just haven't felt like I've had that much time to read. I ended up being able to get through three books, I'm pretty happy with that. Those books were: 
  • The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin 
  • The 100 by Kass Morgan 
  • If I Stay by Gayle Foreman
At the moment, I'm getting through: 
  • 1984 by George Orwell 
  • Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan 
  • A World Without Princes by Soman Chainani 
I've read 38 books out of the 50 that I've set myself to complete this year and somehow I've managed to stay two books ahead of schedule. I'm not even sure how that managed to stay like that but I think it's got to do with the amount that I managed to read last month. So, well done past Saira! 

This month has been a god one and I'm so glad that my initial nerves about starting the school year have gone away and now I've just been enjoying my last school year. 

I hope everyone else has had a good start to the academic year if you've already started back. For those starting Uni in October, good luck! And to those of you who aren't in education any more, I hope September was a great month and held a lot of happy memories.
 photo signature1_zpsda2bb39d.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment