Wednesday 29 July 2015

Book Review: Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List

Title: Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List 
Author: David Levithan & Rachel Cohn 
Publisher: Electric Monkey 
Release Date: 03/07/2013
Pages: 256
Service: Bought 
Format: Paperback 
Buy: Book Depository 

'Any great friendship can be as confusing, treacherous, inspiring and wonderful as any great romance. 

Naomi and Ely have bee best friends forever. Naomi loves and is in love with Ely, and Ely loves Naomi but prefers to be in love with boys. So, they create their 'No Kiss List' of people neither of them is allowed to kiss. 

And this works fine - until Bruce. 

Bruce is Naomi's boyfriend, so there's no reason to put him on the List. But Ely kissed Bruce - and the resulting fallout is going to change the world.'


'Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List' was a book that I was looking forward to read. After reading two of Levithan's and Cohn's co-written books, I had enjoyed one but ended up not finishing the other. For me, this was the decider as to whether or not I would pick up another book from the both of them. The blurb sounded great and I ended up buying it.

My biggest mistake was not flicking through the book whilst I was in Waterstones which is weird because that's what I usually do. The reason why I'm a little annoyed that I didn't is because I don't think I would've picked up the book if I had. As I began to read the book there were emoticons that were replacing words. At first it wasn't too bad, I thought it would be something that would slowly be gone as the book progressed. There were a few pages were there was nothing and then it would start again. To be honest, I found it extremely annoying. Some of them I didn't understand and altogether, it just bugged me. 

I did enjoy where the story was going though. I think it was one that people were able to relate to in terms that there are people out there who like their but their friend has a different sexual orientation. I love the pieces of humour that were thrown into the chapters, it made it a more enjoyable read and it did make me smile. 

The characters, for me, were a little annoying though. Naomi was a character I just really struggled to like. She just seemed to whine a lot and wasn't a likeable character. I just feel as though she overreacted to what was going on in the book and seemed to keep using people. 

In the end I had to DNF this book. I just struggled to enjoy it. I flicked through the pages to see what happened at the end because I was interested in seeing what happened and the plot was something I didn want to follow. However, I just really didn't enjoy the writing so I had to put it down. I was struggling to get through it and it just wasn't something that I was looking forward to read. 

Rating: DNF 
 photo signature1_zpsda2bb39d.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment